HOW’S YOUR RECEPTION? (Part 1)

Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Ps 25:4-5 NIV


Something in my Sunday school lesson caught my attention. The lesson stated, “Receptive believers do not have to feel powerless before the forces of evil and heavy burdens of life.” My first thought was what is the difference between receptive and non-receptive believers? Secondly, what habits and tools increase or fine-tune our reception?

Two pictures come to mind when I think about our spiritual reception. The first picture is of an old rabbit-eared television set, snowy and noisy, with someone rearranging the antennae, putting aluminum foil on the tips.

The second picture is that of sisters Martha and Mary from Luke 10:38-42. Martha, careful and troubled about many things, appears non-receptive to me. She was so distracted by her busyness that the signal was blocked. Mary, on the other hand, had recognized and chosen the good part, the only needful thing. Most of us can relate more to Martha, can’t we?

In the next entry, we’ll compare the receptive and non-receptive believer in detail. In the meantime, how’s your reception?

Comments

Popular Posts