Painter of Light



Read Psalm 8:3-4


Because we are situated a quarter mile from the road and about as far from the view of neighbors, we built our home with a full, large, clear window above the bathtub instead of with frosted privacy glass. The view of the surrounding hills, nature, and wildlife commands our attention. After eleven years in this house, it’s still my favorite spot.

At times, this has been my place to retreat for solitude. From here, I’ve taken in many sunrises, and the light of the new or full moon also shines brightly through, a breathtaking witness to Jehovah-Elohim, the Eternal Creator.

A recent sunrise was out of this world. As I soaked in the beauty of the new sky, sipping coffee from my favorite Thomas Kinkade mug, I realized Thomas Kinkade is not the original painter of light.

No two sunrises ever alike, I am convinced that the sunrises and sunsets are a reflection of the pure and holy light of our living God. Revelation 21:23 confirms “the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.” In Psalm 4:6, David cried, “There be many that say, who will show us any good? Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.”

Those who walk in darkness likely miss the sky’s divine presence; they probably don’t get it. But of those He has called, it is written, “Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:9) And in Ecclesiastes 11:7, “Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun.”

I look to the sky a lot. Perhaps it is because we are to be watchful for His coming (Matthew 24:42). Yes, I believe that’s part of it, but I believe I look also for a glimpse of His glory, and, more often than not, He doesn’t disappoint me.

Father of Lights, thank you for the beauty in the morning and evening sky. I will watch for Your coming and I will walk in Your light. Amen

All scripture quoted is KJV. Image courtesy of http://www.heartlight.org

Comments

Popular Posts