Chasing the Wind


Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind. (Ecclesiastes 4:6 NIV)


I had lost something and it bothered me. In a time of a recessed economy, I’d treated myself to a new decorative Christmas flag. My heart smiled each time I saw it as I looked out the window or as I pulled into the garage.


But at our house on the little hill the flag must battle its archenemy, the wind. No matter how creative I’ve gotten in my attempts to secure my flag, the wind has won most of the battles. So I was not surprised to drive up to an empty flag pole last week, but I was disappointed all the same. As the days passed without finding the flag, my mind’s eye pictured a twenty dollar bill flapping in the breeze where the flag used to be, and I chastised myself for spending money on such a frivolous thing. But as I fussed at myself I also prayed, and I launched a search party; my husband and daughter joined me in the search around our property for my lost treasure.


I walked in the freezing cold temperatures, stepped around mud, searching as I went for any signs of the blue flag to no avail, but I refused to call off the search. I prayed God would forgive me for throwing money (that He provided) to the wind on such a thing, and I prayed He would help me find it.


As I had searched the last spots and headed back to the house discouraged I looked under our deck, almost as an afterthought, and to what did my wandering eyes appear but a blue Christmas flag that my heart held so dear!


Like my flag, I was blown away; blown away by the realization that God cares about me so much that He would answer my prayers for little things like lost flags. And if I can trust Him and see Him in these little things, why is it sometimes so hard to believe Him for the big things? I believe that God understands how we feel about the little things because Jesus became flesh and felt the little things with a heart like ours.


God loves me even when my life is wrinkled and muddy like my lost flag. Perpetual grace (John 1:16) is poured out over my life and your life from a Heavenly Father who knows us and loves us and wants to bless us. Thank you, Lord, for perpetual grace!


Heavenly Father, thank you for answered prayer, big and small. Thank You for allowing us the privilege of trusting all things in our life to your care. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

Judy said…
Good morning my sweet Tina. Once again I have been blessed by your beautiful writing. Always look forward to receiving these. God has touched you in a special way to give you this gift that provides blessing for all of us who read these. I love you dearly. You hold a special place in my heart.
Love Ju Ju
nana4health said…
It's so sad that many people believe God is not interested in the minute details of our lives, totally missing the real meaning of Heavenly FATHER.Their religion has kept them from an intimate relationship with their REAL Dad. Christmas hugs, Sherry

Popular Posts